Diary of Events

 


Year 

1240 – Earliest mention of Hilden.

1295 – Earliest mention of Dachurst. 

1300 – Earliest mention of Philpots. 

1327 – Earliest mention of Nizels. 

1357 – Earliest mention of Children family. 

1450 – Part of Selby Farm built. 

1520 – Manor of Dachurst acquired for the crown by Henry VIII. 

1570 – The Plough built. 

1585 – Earliest mention of Watts Cross. Mention of Nobodie Tree at Noble Tree Cross. 

1587 – Nizels Hoath built. 

1610 – Treberfydd built. 

1614 – Mansers Farm sold. 

1616 – The Bank, Hook Hatch Lane built. 

1643 – Civil war skirmish at Hilden Bridge. 

1652 – Manors of Dachurst, Lamport, Nizels and Martin-Abbey sold. 

1660 – Above manors reverted to the Crown. 

1701 – Blue Anchor built. 

1709 – First turnpike road in Kent from Riverhill to Pembury. 

1739 – John Children bought Nizels Hoath. 

1784 – Start of regular mail coaches. 

1788 – New Cock Inn sold for 170. 

1791 – Thomas Francis born. 

1804 – Oakhill House and Pembroke Lodge built. 

1807 – Mail coach overturned at Hilden Bridge. 

1812 – The Mill built at Watts Cross. Gunpowder Mill built. 

1825 – Darks cricket ball factory opened. 

1826 – Wesleyan chapel opened in Stocks Green Road. 

1830 – Meopham Bank built. 

1842 – Architectural competition for design of Church. 

1844 – The Church consecrated. Wesleyan Chapel closed. 

1845 – Vicarage built. 

1846 – Thomas Francis appointed Surveyor of Highways. 

1847 – Louis Napoleon visited Nizels. Primary school opened. 

1865 – John Frederick Herring died. Church clock installed. OlJohn Barleycorn beer house opened. 

1866 – Foxbush, Mountains and Hollanden Park built. 

1868 – Watts Cross Station (later Hildenborough) opened. The Gate Hotel opened. 

1871 – Smallpox in the village. 

1873 – The Bank rebuilt and called Oakhurst. Gospel Hall built. 

1875 – Horace Hitchcock opened cricket ball factory. 

1878 – OlJohn Barleycorn closed.

 1879 – Thomas Francis died. 

1881 – The Poplars shop closed. 

1883 – Foxbush Harriers formed. 

1887 – Queen Victorias Golden Jubilee Church bells installed.A stone drinking fountain was erected in the Tonbridge Road (opposite the newsagents) to mark this occasion. It was moved to the Village Green in 2005.

 1893 – Parish magazine started. Girls Friendly Society formed. 

1894 – Hildenborough became a civil parish. First parish nurse arrived. Village library started. 

1895 – Mothers Union founded. 

1896 – Restoration of the Church. Cricket Club reorganised. Cottagers & Allotment Holders Association formed. First Flower Show. 

1897 – Queen Victorias Diamond Jubilee fountain erected. Boys Brigade started. 

1899 – Church spire and weather vane damaged in gales. 

1901 – Gas laid on in village. 

1902 – Coronation celebrations for Edward VII. Drill Hall erected.

 1905 – Choral Society formed. 

1906 – Foxbush Harriers disbanded. Football Club formed. 

1907 – Death of Charles Fitch Kemp. Formation of Rifle Club. 

1908 – Bier given to the Church.

 1909 – Lord Derbys estate sold. 

1910 – The Mill ceased operating.

1911 – Coronation celebrations for George V. Princess Christian Farm Colony opened. 1919 – Womens Institute formed. 1st Hildenborough Guide Company formed. 1st Hildenborough Brownie Pack formed. 

1920 – Erection of War Memorial. 

1923 – Extension of Drill Hall. 

1932 – Recreation ground opened. 

1935 – George V Silver Jubilee Celebrations. Branch of girls Friendly Society reformed. 

1936 – 8th Tonbridge (Hildenborough) Scout Group formed. 

1940 – Spitfire crashed at rear of Half Moon. 

1942 – Child Welfare Centre opened. 

1944 – Church centenary celebrations. Bomb fell on Recreation ground. 

1946 – Hildenborough branch of Royal British Legion formed. Toc H branch formed. 

1947 – Formation of Tennis Club. 

1948 – Craftcast bungalows. Brookmead built. 

1949 – Girls Friendly Society disbanded. Drill Hall and Institute transferred to the Parish Council. 

1953 – Coronation festivities for Elizabeth II. Edwin Hendry died. Darby & Joan club started. 

1954 – Revision of Parish boundaries. 

1956 – Boiling Kettle demolished. Little Hilden Farm sold. British Legion H.Q. built. Church Hall built. Gough Cooper Brookmead estate first occupied.

1957 – Dr Skinner joined Dr Davison.

1959 – Hardwick Road and Hardwick School built. 

1960 – Royal British Legion (Womens Section) formed. 

1961 – Masque Players perform first play. Festival week. 

1962 – Mount Pleasant Court opened. 

1963 – Evening W.I. started. 

1965 – Festival week. New graveyard and Garden of Remembrance consecrated.

1968 – Severe flooding in area.

1969 – Stocks Green School opened. 

1971 – Opening of Tonbridge by-pass. Opening of Village Hall. 2nd Hildenborough Guide Company formed. 

1972 – Formation of Badminton club. 

1973 – Flooding again. Masters Cafe demolished. Formation of Hildenborough Village Preservation Association. 

1975 – Oak Lodge demolished. Green Rabbit demolished. 

1977 – Silver Jubilee celebrations for Queen Elizabeth II. 

1978 – Church Hall extended. 

1981 – Flood Barrier completed. Gravel extraction from Hawden Farm commenced. 

1982 – Part of Westwood bought by Parish Council. Formation of Hildenborough Conservation Group. 

1983 – Indoor Bowls Club formed. 

1986 – Fidelity International acquire Oakhill House 

1987 – Introduction of Neighbourhood Watch scheme. Sackville School arrived. October gales. 

1989 – Consecration of Garden of Remembrance and memorial plaque. Vitasan Clinic closed. 

1991 – Opening of Medical Centre, Westwood. 

1992 – Nizels Golf Club opened. 

1994 – Centenary of the Parish Council. – Celebration of 150th anniversary of St. Johns Church where a new North window replaced that blown out in 1944. 

1996 – Gardeners' Centenary celebrations 

1998 – Hildenbrook Farm development completed 

2000 – Millenium 

2004 – Kelly Holmes Olympic successes. Mount Pleasant Court replaced with new houses. Extension of Riding Lane School. 

2007 – Church Hall revised.