If the maps of 1868 and 1907 (as can be seen in Tonbridge Library, Avebury Avenue) are compared it can be seen that only on the later map (see below 1907 map), for example, Hilden Park, Church Road and Mount Pleasant appear, but with only few houses.
Nevertheless the Village was quite small at the beginning of the 20th century and dominated by large houses and land holdings which were split up around the time of The Great War.
It expanded before the Second World War and considerably post-war, especially in the late 1950s as did Tonbridge itself. Of recent years there has only been comparatively limited infill and building on the sites of the disused Hospitals and Schools. The countryside surrounding the built up area is part of the Metropolitan Green Belt. At one time a good part of the land grew hops but in recent years this has stopped and agricultural activity is generally at a low key.
There is a Conservation Area which includes parts of Mount Pleasant, Church Road and Tonbridge Road between Mount Pleasant and the 2* Listed Church. A map of the conservation area can also be seen in the tabs below.